Irritating spam calls have been a nuisance for years. Unknown callers are continuously harassing us, which gets incredibly annoying when we’re having an important meeting or are waiting for a vitally important call. But how to find out whether an incoming call is essential or just another spam? Is there any way to get rid of spam calls without picking them up? This is where caller ID applications come into play. Such apps let you know how’s calling you before you answer the call and allow you to forget about wondering whether the caller is your official bank representative or a typical scammer intending to leak your savings.
Without further ado, let’s get a closer look at the best caller ID apps for Android and iOS with their main features, pros and cons.
#1 REKK — Call Blocker
As the name suggests, REKK helps smartphone users get rid of spam calls by simply enabling the call blocking feature. On top of that, the app offers a caller ID feature that allows identifying the caller before you pick up. REKK uses its vast database to track over 4 million phone numbers monthly. Not only are spam calls blocked by the app; it also keeps an eye on spam text messages and protects you from unwanted SMS containing keywords like “special offer”, “discount”, “sales”, “loan”, and more.
- supports iOS and Android;
- identifies callers and allows you to decide whether the call is worth answering;
- offers call blocking feature to get rid of spam;
- uses an up-to-date phone number database to identify callers.
- since the database is huge, it may take you up to 10 minutes to download the database.
With Truecaller, you’ll identify spam calls and text messages and get rid of annoying callers. It detects spam, robocalls and scam before you pick up and blocks them automatically. Besides, the app offers the number lookup feature, so you can easily find any unknown number in the database and find out what company the number belongs to. Truecaller isn’t just a call blocker. It comes with an in-built smart messenger that allows users to chat with their friends at no cost. It’s also possible to make free calls directly from the app.
- supports iPhone and Android;
- 250 million users add suspicious numbers to the spam list;
- protects you from spammers;
- offers additional features like instant messenger.
- the interface is far from user-friendly;
- to remove ads, you’ll need to purchase a premium subscription.
#3 Hiya — Call Blocker, Fraud Detection & Caller ID
Hiya is a reliable app that protects you from fraud, spammers, telemarketers, and robocalls. It shows you the actual caller ID, so you always know who’s on the other end of the line. If necessary, the app will block all unwanted calls automatically. The number lookup feature gives you real-time context on who called you, be it your business partner, bank assistant, friend or a usual scammer. The best thing about Hiya is that every user can report spoof calls to the community to warn other people of scam.
- identifies and blocks telemarketers, debt collectors, robocalls, and fraud calls like neighbor spoofed scam;
- turns an unknown caller into a name thanks to the caller ID feature;
- helps you identify a call from an unsaved contact with the number lookup feature;
- offers easy navigation.
- according to the app users, it doesn’t identify all spam calls;
- SMS text blocker is not supported on devices with Android 4.4 (KitKat) and higher.
#4 Showcaller — Caller ID & Block
This caller ID app is designed to show users the name, photo, address and other details on the phone screen while the phone is ringing. It’s a perfect tool to keep away from spammers, telemarketers, robocalls, and neighbor spoofing. The app is powered by a database of a billion phone numbers and protects users from annoying callers. Showcaller can also block unwanted phone calls automatically. Unlike other apps of this kind, it needs very little space to run. The best thing is, the app is absolutely free.
- has a vast spam phone number database;
- is extremely fast and easy-to-use;
- allows you to look up any phone number in the database;
- never uploads your phonebook to make it searchable or public.
- users complain that the app does not identify all numbers;
- the app comes with many ads.
#5 Mr. Number Lookup & Call Block
This is another caller ID app on our list to keep the annoying callers at bay. Once you install the app, you get real-time alerts warning you of incoming spam calls. If you want to block all suspicious phone calls, simply enable the automatic call blocking feature. Additionally, Mr. Number helps you find out who a number belongs to locally in the app. You can also create your personal blocklist to get rid of particular callers. It’s possible to report annoying callers to the community.
- helps you identify annoying calls;
- allows reporting spammers to the community;
- offers an easy-to-use number lookup feature;
- is used by thousands of people and has many positive reviews.
- the app offers a 7-day free trial; after it you should purchase the subscription;
- according to user reviews, the app doesn’t block all telemarketer calls.
#6 Whoscall — Caller ID & Block
When random callers disturb you, it’s time to control your privacy by blocking them with Whoscall. More than 90 million people downloaded the app, and now it has over 1.6 billion databases from the global community. It lets you find out who’s calling you immediately so that you can pick up important calls and block annoying ones. A significant advantage of the app is that it allows you to identify numbers without Internet access. Moreover, it lets you add specific numbers to your blocklist.
- identifies unwanted callers before you pick up;
- blocks calls from unwanted callers;
- offers phone number lookup;
- is trusted by thousands of users from all over the world.
- doesn’t identify all unknown callers;
- is full of annoying ads.
#7 CIA — Caller ID & Call Blocker
Do you want to get rid of debt collectors or telemarketers? Then pay attention to this powerful caller ID app. CIA helps users identify unknown callers. With CIA, you can immediately see who an anonymous caller is, be it a business or a personal number. The database stores data for more than 1.5 billion numbers worldwide and is based on real people’s reports. You can either mute or block spam calls in the CIA app. The number lookup feature comes in very handy when you need to identify the name, address or business information of who’s behind an unknown telephone number.
- offers a backup feature;
- integrates with multiple data sources, e.g. Yelp!, Facebook, Tripadvisor, and Yellow Pages across the world to provide faster and more precise results;
- offers a simple UI with contact shortcuts;
- provides a vast phone number database.
- to turn off the ads, you’ll need to fork out for the subscription;
- is incompatible with iOS;
- is slow to open.
Download from Google Play.
#8 Sync.ME — Caller ID, Spam Call Blocker & Contacts
To have a dedicated and trustworthy caller ID and blocking app, you can rely on Sync.ME. This app helps you control your privacy by blocking unwanted phone calls. On top of that, the app lets you identify unknown callers and even see your callers’ photos. Over 1 billion phone numbers are included in the app’s database that is updated 24/7 to protect you from robocalls, scammers, telemarketers, etc. With this app, you can sync your contacts to update your address book contacts with profile photos from their social networks and see who is calling you.
- offers an up-to-date database of scammers;
- is easy-to-use;
- provides contacts backup;
- has many positive reviews.
- when Facebook updated their API, the feature showing callers’ Facebook profile images stopped working;
- premium features like background sync are purchased separately.
Thanks to CallApp, you’ll always know who’s calling. The app automatically identifies phone calls from spammers, telemarketers, unknown and unwanted numbers. It also comes with a call blocking feature for you to choose an unwanted number and add it to your blocklist with a single tap. Additionally, the app allows you to record phone calls so that you never worry about missing an important detail again. This all-in-one app is available for Android users.
- identifies any caller, individual or business, that is not saved in your phonebook;
- allows users to mark a call as spam which then notifies other users if they receive a call from that number;
- provides detailed instructions on how to use the app;
- provides analytics — a detailed breakdown of all your calling patterns.
- the free version is full of ads;
- requires number registration and permissions to your contacts and other data.
Download from Google Play.
#10 True ID Caller Name
The True ID app is designed to identify callers’ true identities by providing you with their names and region. The app has a simple and easy-to-use interface. It displays your call history and an analytics page that shows the total number of incoming, outgoing, missed, and rejected calls. Additionally, the app allows you to block phone numbers and SMS you want to avoid, like those from telemarketers and scammers. You can also look up unknown phone numbers in the app’s database.
- offers a powerful caller ID tracker and blocker to identify unknown numbers;
- helps to identify unknown SMS;
- helps you forget about annoying telemarketers and scammers;
- shows call logs of blocked phone numbers so you can check if the app truly works.
- the free version comes with annoying pop-up ads;
- does not identify all spam numbers.
Download from Google Play.
#11 Eyecon: Caller ID, Calls and Phone Contacts
With 4.6 out of 5 stars, Eyecon ranks among the Play Store’s top caller ID apps. It lets you identify callers and see people’s names and photos before you pick up. Eyecon offers similar features as the other apps from this list. However, it seems somewhat more user-friendly than its competitors. All you have to do is click on the Eyecon icon, and it will show you all the information of the person on the other side.
- offers reverse lookup;
- identifies spam callers;
- turns your address book into a beautiful, visual gallery of all your friends;
- offers responsive support.
- requires a lot of permissions from your side.
Download from Google Play.
#12 Me — Caller ID Spam Protection
Although it’s not as popular as other apps from the list, the Me app hits it out of the park when it comes to identifying spammers, robocalls, and telemarketers. The app comes with 24/7 spam protection and reveals the true caller name before you answer an unknown person’s incoming call. Additionally, it allows you to search for unknown caller names among billions of phone numbers in the app. It is not just a simple caller ID app. It is a social network for your contacts, where you can renew connections with old friends and colleagues.
- detects spam calls and scammers;
- supports CarPlay and identifies your calls on your car screen;
- comes with a convenient dark mode;
- supports backup.
- doesn’t load without extra permissions;
- the design is outdated.
Download from App Store.
#13 Robo Shield Spam Call Blocker
Robo Shield has high ratings on Google Play and App Store because of the effectiveness of its spam-blocking tool. The app blocks particular numbers from your contact list or protects you from calls from entire categories of callers like spam, scam, political, telemarketers, etc. Robo Shield offers a database of untrustworthy numbers that is updated every 6 minutes. More importantly, the utility takes care of your privacy and never shares or sells your contact list.
- blocks unwanted numbers automatically;
- comes with a number lookup feature;
- identifies unknown callers;
- allows you to send annoying calls to voicemail.
- no free plan with limited features;
- doesn’t protect you from all spammers.
#14 AT&T Call Protect
Initially, the app was designed for blocking calls from spammers, but it also offers a premium plan with a caller ID feature. When the phone rings, it gives you incoming caller details and sends the unwanted caller to voicemail. Moreover, the tool lets you report spam numbers to help other app users get rid of spam. It also offers a reverse number lookup but only for US phone numbers.
- offers fraud call blocking;
- sends unknown callers to voicemail;
- warns you of telemarketers, account services, surveys, political callers etc.;
- has a simple interface.
- sometimes, it blocks important callers by mistake;
- the app can be slow on some devices.
#15 Mobile Number Locator
As the name suggests, this Android app helps you identify caller location and other details. The app works for numbers from the USA, India, Russia, Brazil, Canada, Mexico, Indonesia and many other countries. It’s also possible to use reverse number lookup in offline mode. With Mobile Number Locator, you’ll know who’s calling you and details like the caller’s city operator, location, and state name.
- works in many countries;
- identifies the caller’s location;
- is easy-to-use;
- provides accurate data.
- doesn’t block phone calls from spammers;
- requires multiple permissions.
Download from Google Play.